With the sudden rise in the Internet usage across the globe over the past few years, there has also been a rise in the amount of online scams and frauds. Today, most of the Internet users are unaware of the most prevailing online threats which pose a real challenge for their safe Internet usage. As a result, the security has become a questionable factor for the most Internet users.
However, it is still possible to effectively combat insecurity on the Internet provided that, the users are well aware of the common scams and frauds and know how to protect themselves. A study shows that over 91 percent of the Internet users are unaware of the online scams and are therefore worried about their security. If you are one among those 91 percent, then this post is just for you!
10 Tips for Internet Security:
Here is a list of 10 simple Internet security tips to maximize your online protection:
- Always install a good antivirus software and keep it up-to-date. Also install a good anti-spyware to keep spyware away from your computer.
- Always visit known and trusted websites. If you are about to visit an unknown website, ensure that you do not click on those untrusted links and banners.
- Perform a virus scan on the files/email attachments that you download before executing them. You can also scan files before downloading, Click to Know
- Regularly update your operating system and browser software. For a better security, it is recommended that you surf the Internet through the latest version of your browser program.
- Never share your password (email, bank logins etc.) with any one for any reason. Choose a strong password (A blend of alphanumeric+special symbols) and change it regularly, eg. every 3 months. Avoid using easy-to-guess passwords. (ex. Mobile no., name, etc).
- Always type the URL of the website in your browser’s address bar to enter the login pages. Not redirect from any others scam sites.
- Before you enter your password on any login page, ensure that you see https instead of http in your browser’s address bar. Example. https://mail.google.com instead of
http://mail.google.com. HTTPS protocol implements SSL (Secure Sockets Layer) and provide better security than a normal HTTP.
- Beware of phishing emails! Do not respond to any email that request you to update your login details by clicking on a link in the body of the email. Such links can lead to Fake Login Pages (Spoofed Pages).
- Always hit the logout button to close your login session rather than abruptly terminating the browser window. Also, clear your web browser caches after every session to remove the temporary files stored in the memory and hard disk of your PC.
- Avoid using any public computers or computers in the Internet cafes to access any sensitive/confidential information. Also, avoid such computers to log in to your email/bank accounts. On a public computer, there is every chance of spyware and malware infections to be present.
By following the above 10 tips, your Internet security can be guaranteed up to 90 percent. I hope this information will help my readers for keeping themselves safe from any of the online insecurities.
Now share this post with your Friends.